Thursday, August 20, 2009

All The Small Things


It may be a song title, (Blink-182) but today it is the title of my post. The small things, correction, ALL the small things, are what makes the difference between a good and bad day. Sometimes I can be quite pessimistic, especially at work, but I try not to be. Usually it depends on the mood of people around me and the level of stress I bring upon myself. Anyways, I got to thinking about this because of what someone said to me at work today. It was simply, "You made my day." How did I do this? Well I didn't go about planning to make this person's day. On Tuesday I ordered some new Tygon tubing to use for filling our carboys with water and other various tasks around the lab. I did it myself because I knew if I left it up to one of the managers it would never happen. I submitted the purchase request Tuesday. Today it arrived. WOW! So I go yelling through the lab, "Dolores, we got our tubing!" Then I go and hook it up to the faucets and cut it to the correct length and stuff like that. Now we have tubing that doesn't have mold growing inside it... woo hoo. A little later on Dolores informed me that I made her day and how excited she was for the new tubing. I was pretty happy I could do that... Really, it's not every day I get the opportunity to do that. I said something that I thought made sense at the time, "You have to be excited about the little things or you will never be excited about the big things," but the more I think of it, it's not exactly true. Maybe for some people it is, but here is a new and improved version I like a little better: "You have to be excited about the little things because there won't always be big things to be excited about, but when they come you will know how to be excited. It's well worth the wait." So that's the deep thought I had today at work...

And other small things to be excited about:

  1. Potluck lunch for Melinda's birthday! YUMMY
  2. Finishing the word jumble in two minutes. It's a good start to pretty much any day really.
  3. Rearranging the cabinets under the bench so I have some leg room when I am working! Exciting!
  4. Dre telling me my hair looks good the way I wore it today. (no work: no brush, with headband)
  5. Hopefully finding an answer to a problem I've been testing with Listeria for the past month and a half. It's always the last thing you can think of. yeah yeah yeah.
  6. A hug from LeeAnn. (and I don't normally like hugs or close human contact)
  7. Being sore from running last night.
  8. Working till 4:45. I know I'm a dork, I don't get paid overtime, but I occasionally like working past 3:30. Definitely depends on the day though. I've been working a lot of unpaid overtime lately, and some days I just want to be home.
  9. Giving my cat a Wisker Lickin's Dreamy Duo cat treat. He loves them (and me).
  10. (I had to have ten, it's a good list number) Coming home to eat a gooey brownie!


I'm thinking maybe I will update my blog more often. Who knows...



1 comment:

rightbrainedamoeba said...

well, your blog is one of MY small things... :) so i think you should update it more often.
tonight or tomorrow we should detailize more trip stuff :)