Saturday, August 01, 2009

Disappointment: Where is the food?

Four times a year at Neogen we have a "Hallway Meeting" that is mandatory for everyone to attend. Basically it's over 200 people packed into a gymnasium, fed lunch, and forced to listen to how awesome our company is (a good waste of an hour if you ask me). In the past they have gotten subs or pizza or lasagna or something similar to that. Similar meaning good food, or at least food. Yesterday we were a little late getting there. Everyone else had their food and was sitting down. I was just worried about getting a seat, but then I saw the salad and garlic bread, so I took a small portion in anticipation for the actual main dish and found a seat. Then I realized that was it. We got salad and garlic bread for lunch. I kept asking, "where is the food," but no one had an answer. The president of the company started his little speach thing, and I again realized this was all we were getting to eat. Had I known, I would have piled on the garlic bread... Then I saw the small chunk of chicken in my salad. Yup. Complete meal right there. Soggy ceasar salad with soggy croutons and a small chunk of chicken. The salad was soggy enough to be made in the morning and tasted like nothing. I ate two or three bites. For starters, I hadn't taken much at all because i really don't like salad and I was anticipating additional food to be served. Really, the stuff on my plate is what animals eat, and I eat animals.

So I was very disappointed, and maybe even a little mad. I was very much regretting my decision to go to this mandatory meeting. On the way back (yes I had to drive 3 miles to this meeting) I told Luisa that I might have to stop somewhere and pick up lunch. I didn't do it, but I really should have because I was in a bad mood the rest of the day.

I wasn't the only one disappointed. Everyone I talked to was. That made it better.

No comments: