Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It made me a little gassy


Lebanese Lentil Soup

[The recipe - and bonus commentary to follow]

Ingredients
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup red lentils
1 tablespoop olive oil
1 clove minced garlic
½ cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons cilantro
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice

Directions
Bring chicken stock and lentils to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir garlic and onions into the lentils and season with cumin and cayenne. Continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Puree half of the soup in a blender, or with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in cilantro and lemon juice before serving.



It was pretty delicious. I added 1/4 teaspoon cayenne and the juice from one lemon and both were a little much for me. I could handle the spiciness, as it was a good level, but I think it took away from the flavor a little, it being my first time tasting it. You know how spiciness can do that sometimes... I would add less...and that's why I put 1/8 tsp in the recipe. I also would add less lemon juice than I added. I kind of measured and it was less than 1/2 cup, but nothing too exact. Just add maybe half a lemon at first and taste it. Stir it a little while it's cooking because the lentils will stick to the bottom of the pan (and make a delicious browned lentil mass of goodness) that I just blend back in. The recipe I mostly followed called for 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, but I didn't have any, so I ended up adding about 2 tsp cilantro.

I am pretty sure it gave me gas, so I wouldn't advise making it the day before you have to go somewhere. Maybe it's a friday night meal and a stay in Saturday kind of occasion ...ya know what I mean. :)


1 comment:

rightbrainedamoeba said...

i have a handy supply of gas-x thinstrips i keep on hand when experimental cooking is on the calendar... or on the stove.
either way - miracle drug. if it's a drug.
and what's wrong with a li'l gas? ;)